Monday, February 5, 2018

Mindfulness Yoga

Yesterday, I posted about how I really wasn't into the Super Bowl Game, so I was going to check out the Mindfulness Yoga class. I admit, I was a bit hesitant at first, but decided to go. But it wasn't without more demons in my head.

It took me a good thirty minutes to decide what to wear. It's typically me. I was thinking what others have worn in previous yoga classes that I have taken previously, and also looking on the internet to see what was done in the class.

It was storming and so I really didn't want to wear too much and be all soaking wet, being that I didn't want to change in the locker room and risk my stuff being stolen. t-shirts, after t-shirts, shorts, after shorts, I finally decided and was out the door.

I made my way to the room after checking in, and maneuvered my way covertly to the corner of the room, so as to be my invisible self, and not to attract unwanted attention. There were only a few people there, and like any other yoga class, the majority were women and a few men.

One thing I can appreciate about Yoga, is that even the most experienced person can look unseasoned, so at first, it was a little overwhelming to see the guy next to me out stretching and letting his breathing be heard.

As the class started, the lights went dim, the new-age meditation music started and the instructor started to talk. She pointed out that this was less about the posture and the poses and more about what your body is trying to tell you. I think I can handle that......

We start off with meditation and some breathing exercises. There have been a lot of postings on Facebook about people passing gas in Yoga classes, so that is running through my head. I commanded/demanded my self that I am not going to be one of them, or I too will have to suffer the defeat and embarrassment of the whole situation and write an article of my humiliation.

"Kindess and acceptance" was the key to all the movements and poses we were doing. Since this was more of being connected to what the body was saying to you, I think a lot of the experienced Yoga people were having a little hard time. I guess it's a different mindset from regular Yoga classes, I was just concentrating on myself and not farting!!!

All in all, it was a good session. There is nothing like being able to put your legs up on the wall and not getting busted!

No comments:

Post a Comment