Monday, January 1, 2018

In the Beginning

Ok, where do I begin?

In 2017, I officially became "old." I was diagnosed with several health issues. With that being the case, I started to take up several "holistic" approaches to maintaining my health. Some to which, have been great! Plus, I got to have some "Me" time.

Now, that 2018 has arrived, I have decided that health will be my main resolution for the year, and probably for the rest of my life.


Many health professionals still use the Body Mass Index (BMI) to gauge the body fat in adults. Let's do the math. So if I am 5'6 and 248 lbs, my BMI would be 40. That would put me in the "Extremely Obese" Category. Not a pretty thing to hear at my yearly physical. Especially since I swim and walk nearly every day. Noticed I said "nearly", and in our house, we really don't eat meat.

Using this graph, in order to be in the "Healthy" range, I would have to lose at least 98 lbs. Let's round it up to a good whole number. Let's say I have to lose 100 lbs.

Good Lord that's a lot!

Coming from the perspective of looking outward, I only see myself if I look at myself in the mirror. So spatially, structurally, psychologically and effectually,  the perspective that I have is based on the reflection through the mirror. To say the least, it's a little difficult to see the real perspective of what exactly I look like.

So if the primary goal of this blog is to even try to represent or encapsulate this journey, and not just add in the fluffy stuff, I have to get real. As the reader, I am assuming and hoping you are not here to fat shame me, and want to get some kind of motivation to lose weight and gain a foothold on a healthy lifestyle also.

So what exactly are we looking at? I was a competitive swimmer for a good part of my life, and I still swim, but not competitively. Thank goodness for "jammers", they can hide some of my fat. I still wear Speedos, but under my jammers. If there were no "jammers" this is the nightmare that would be walking out of the locker room, on to the pool deck.

I have to say though, thank goodness my local gym in open 24 hours a day and I can go swim at 11:00 at night when no one is really there. As you can see, the suit can't even contain my fat. I have to admit, only after I took these pictures, I was truly mortified at how big I truly am!!!

I think I needed to see this. I am a visual person, so at least I know what I have to work with.

YIKES!!!!!

Lets see how this goes!

I am wondering now if I dare take more of these pictures as the year goes by to see my progress. Wait, I take that back, I think it is necessary to visually see it not only on the weight scale, but on my body also.

I think I need a "graphic warning" label in the future, just to warn not only myself, but others who are reading this too.......

Ok, let's get this show on the road.




No comments:

Post a Comment