Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Tale of Two Scales

I went in for my doctor's appointment. I admit, I was filled with mixed emotions going into it. I have full of hopes being that the scale was moving in the direction that I wanted it to go. I was optimistic and yet open to hear what he was going to say about the numbers I produced through my blood test.

The first thing I did this morning was jump on the scale to see how much I weighed going into this appointment. Now according to my scale, since I first started this whole thing, I am suppose to have lost a total of 15 pounds!!! Great right? I was all happy!!!

Fast forward to my jumping on the scale at the doctor's office. What does it read? 241!!! No! That can't be right!!!! But then 7 pounds isn't too bad too, right? How can my scale be off by 8 lbs.?

Immediately in my head that stupid Christmas song "The Restroom Door Said Gentleman" played in my head. Someone must be playing a joke on me! Blah!!! All my confidence just went down the toilet. However, that pep talk from "Superhero Man" started to play in my head. It must have had a calming affect on me because my blood pressure wasn't high.

As if to play on my nerves, the next 45 minutes waiting in the exam room was pure torture! All those stupid comic strips of being over weight, not exercising and eating right seemed to be laughing at me!

First thing the doctor walks in, he is looking at the notes and blurts out, "Not bad, you lost 4 pounds since I last saw you!" In a total unprecedented moment of utter self defeat, I said "Dems fighting words!" He looked at me and I started to tell him how disappointed I was that in my books, I had lost  15 lbs., but really only 4 lbs., and that I was a little upset that my scale was off by 8 lbs.

He laughed and was explaining how all scales are different and how even in his office al this scales read differently, the main thing is to be consistant. Blah, was that suppose to comfort me? To comfort myself, since his words were lack luster, I drew things out on paper, and this is going to be my official story if people ask me about today's visit. I think it's totally plausible.

So if I was 245 lbs at my last doctor's visit, my scale would have read 237 lbs. Since then, the holidays happened, and so I could see myself hitting 248 lbs on my scale on January 1st. On the doctor's scale it would have read 256 lbs. I have been that heavy previously. So then at my next weight in on January 8, my scale read 240 lbs., and so my doctor's scale would have read  248 lbs. So then today would make total sense, 233 lbs. on my scale and 241 lbs on the doctor's scale! So maybe there is something to that consistency thing. Sorry Doc, you right!

As far as my numbers from the blood test, he says that there is nothing really to worry about. It's a mix of genetics, false positives as my triglycerides is now way down, but my cholesterol is still a little high. So there is some stuff I can still work on.

All in all, I am ok with the outcome, there is still a lot more work to be done. I think at this point I am good with the direction I am going, considering that I have no map in front of me, and "just shooting from the hips", as they say.


No comments:

Post a Comment