Monday, January 29, 2018

The Pep Talk That Started With Me Almost Shittin In My Pants!

Since this whole thing started, I have been trying to keep to myself to fight all the demons, and face my fears, yes even the one of going to the gym to work out. I am still the one in the corner riding the bike, slowly meandering to the weight machines, trying not to make eye contact with anyone, and quickly retreating to the pool to swim, relax in the hot tub, shower quickly, change quickly, and I am out of the door! Mind you, at this time of night, it's not like I am trying to hide from anyone, there is hardly even anyone there, sometimes it's just me!

In my mind, I have made up names to the people who are normally there. I have done that with the people who either stand out or were regulars. People like "Jeans Man", the guy who works out in his jeans and white undershirt, "Bruce Lee", the Asian guy who wears a matching yellow sweatshirt and sweatpants, "Miss America" who I swear does not work out, just waves and talks story to people, and then there is "Old Lady Silver Sneakers", the super strong elderly lady who is super strong and could probably kick your ass if you are mean to her.

At night, there is "The Lady Formerly Known as The Thong Sweat Lady", I introduced her in a previous post, who now is dressed a little more and now cleans down her machines, There is "Mr. Olympia" buff man who every so often will strike a pose in the mirror. He's another one that kind of just keeps to himself. When you pass by and just accidentally make eye contact, you'll get a "sup!" and a smile if he's not doing anything. I return the favor, it's the least I can do. Every so often he'll go into the excersize room and strip off his workout clothes and do his posing routine in the mirror in his underwear, posing suit, what ever you call it. He's crazy big!

Every so often there is "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", although they are Asian, it just came to mind. They are the husband and wife team who are constantly motivating each other and spotting each other. 
Outside in the pool area, there is "Military Man" and his "Companion" I hate to assume, but they carry on as if the gym is there "secret rendezvous" point. Him in his short military shorts and her in her seductive ways and clothing full on making out in the pool, hot tub or steam room. I just want to yell "Eww! Get a room!"

Recently there is "Superhero Man". Not the super buff person like "Mr. Olympia", just "toned" I guess you would say. I am deftly afraid of him, for some odd reason, although I know it's just in my head. 

He comes in, shakes hands with whoever is at the front desk, goes to the locker room to change and comes out to workout. He kind of waves to "Mr. Olympia" as if it were some formality. He's always dressed in a long sleeve compression shirt, shorts and tights. Always matching, all red, all blue, or all black. He'll eye roll "The Lady Formerly Known as The Thong Sweat Lady." Looks like there is no friendship at all there! He is one of those who I don't make eye contact and pray a little prayer of invisibility if I ever need to pass him, while at the same time, I don't want to make it seem like I am unfriendly and trying to snob him.

I pass him and through my ear phones I can hear him, "Hey! Hey you!" I look over in his direction and point at myself, "Who me?" I am super scared, I feel small and want to run away, but it feels as it I need to see what he wants or I'll get beaten up. Kind of like that scene in Christmas Story when Scot Farkus is calling out to Richie and his friends. He nods.

"Yes?" I answer as I come to the side of the bench he is working on. "Come try help me a little bit. Can you spot me?" Of all the people in the gym, why does he pick me out? I am sure "Mr. Olymipa" could spot him with just his pinky! He is just a few benches over.

I reluctantly spot him. I grow even smaller as he is now making faces and quietly moaning as he is lifting the weights. I help him to put the bar back up at the end of the set. I thought it was all over. I get the feeling he senses my fear and starts up a conversation.

"You know..... I've been watching you......" he starts off.  All these thoughts are going though my head as I am trying to make sense of where this conversation is going. Is he trying to hit on me? Did I do something wrong? Do I know him outside of the gym?

Then he delivers a pep talk that I probably have been looking for through out this journey. He was talking about not giving up. Somehow in his scanning of me over the past few weeks, he pictured his former self. He talked about how he was overweight and wanted to make a change in his life and all the challenges that he went though. Where was this all coming from? Why did he decide to reach out to me?

Out of curiosity, I asked him. I felt like such a wise ass for asking. He said he was glad he asked, because he didn't know if I would accept his words of wisdom. Suddenly, this spandex clad man truly became a super hero in my books. I admitted to him that I was scared of him even though it was just pure mind games. He laughed as he shook my hand. It was such a father-son moment, even though he couldn't be as old as my father. He just wanted to assure me that he was there if I ever needed help and that he'd be there to be that one to give me that extra drive. He just wanted to aspire me, since I was just like him.

We talked more and parted our ways as I went to the pool and he called it a night. As I swam, his worlds were constantly replaying in my mind. Never mind the music coming through the earphones. It was all about perseverance, making goals, rehearsing them daily. Also in there were jabs about attacking those machines like I own them and not "mousing" over to them and getting overwhelmed. Dam I should have taken notes!

This morning as I meditated, my meditation was in appreciation to him and his words. Fear turned into encouragement. For me, I think I needed to hear the stories of failure and rising up. If it were all about success, I think more and more I'd feel like a failure.

I think I am going to have a different feeling tonight in the gym, one of more courage and grit. Thank you "Superhero Man"! Your words last night was just the medicine I needed, especially heading into my doctor's appointment this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment