Saturday, January 13, 2018

The Great Ballistic Missile Alert of 2018

Today will go down in history as one of the greatest mishaps in Modern Hawai'i History. Imagine being awaken from a early morning slumber by a squealing alarm from your cellphone and see the message on the left!

My heart was about to fall out my ass! Minutes later calls after calls concerning this message by frantic friends and relatives, some of which are giving, what they think, are their final goodbyes and "I love you."

Last year, we were told that if there was a missile  launch from North Korea, we would have 15 minutes until the missile would hit us here. Provided that the the first minute or two is uncounted, being that the satellites in space need time to even pick up the missile launch.

It's a Saturday morning! What the hell! I am going to spend the last 15 minutes of my life with no one around, and I cannot go anywhere! No bomb shelter, my wife is still at work, more than 15 minutes away! I'M SCREWED!!!!

She frantically calls me to say what she had heard and to get ready, she is on her way home. She wants me to pick up a few things from the market, so I reluctantly go. Is this the last time I am going to hear her? I tell her "I love you" and "Please don't worry." I doubt that has any reassuring qualities to it.

Minutes later, I find myself in the car listening to the radio. Slowly, some word is getting out that this is a false alarm. I get another call from my wife asking me where I was. I told her I had just arrived at the market and told her what I had heard. She's now super pissed off! She had been calling all over the island and to the mainland US reassuring her family that everything was going to be okay and giving her "I love you" also.

I grab whatever, and now it's 38 minutes after the initial alert and this alert comes on. A sigh of relief comes upon us. Later at home, slowly by slowly, more information becomes available. The Governor, the mayor and the head of civil defense are addressing the media.

Some "asshat" accidentally hit the wrong button as the work crew was transitioning from one shift to another. How the hell does that happen???

Someone's head is gong to be chopped off for this!!! Some are calling for the mayor and the governor to resign. Why? They didn't press the button!

More questions....more answers will be coming in the next few days.......

No comments:

Post a Comment