Monday, February 12, 2018

Spiritual Retreat: The Much Needed Vacation for My Body and Soul

A friend of mine called me last week saying that he had planned to go to a weekend retreat, in which one was able to relax, get massages, meditate, and "rediscover yourself." I replied back "Hey! Thats sounds great! I am sure you are going to enjoy it!"

"No, YOU'RE going to enjoy it!" he replied back. I was dumbfounded. Apparently he had made arrangements at this retreat but was not able to go, and since it was so last minute, he wasn't going to get his money back, so he asked me to fill in. I figure it was a great moment to run away from this crazy world, at least for a couple days.

All excited, I packed and off I was. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. Words like "fitness assessment", "functional fitness, "spin", and "pilates" were being thrown at me. I was getting overwhelmed. Was this my friend's trick on me? I asked, "Where does the meditation, massage, and relaxation part come in?" The lady smiled, and said, "Don't worry, you'll do all of that too!"

That smile seemed a little cynical. I was worried. I so wanted to go home. But I remained open minded and went forward. After going to my room, I had my "fitness assessment" done. I could tell the guy wanted to choose his words correctly as to not hurt my feelings of being obviously obese. "At least you are outside of the Obese Class III level." Was that suppose to make me feel good?

A lot of the activities made me fight my internal demons and pushed the outer limits of my comfort level. Especially when new things that I have never tried was introduced. Barre, Spin, and Pilates were absolutely crazy! But some of the yoga, suspension straps, and stretching classes were totally awesome! I could do those!!

The sunset meditation yoga was hella awesome! It was well worth going through the sheer torture and body abuse during the day. Beautiful view of the sunset, relaxation, and not so strenuous yoga poses was just my speed.

The massages were "interesting" to say the least. There is nothing like being massaged on the beach under a canopy and being able to hear the waves, feel the breeze and enjoy the view. Although the choice of attire was a little unsettling. Disposable thong or disposable boxers. That was just too odd. I am so use to just going to my monthly massage appointment in just my boxers, but disposable, one size fits some, paper feeling undergarments. I didn't even think these existed!!!! I prefer my personal massage therapist, but she did a  great job! I swear she was practicing her WWE moves on me!

Of course food is important. I think they spend more time on their amenities than their food. Fresh vegetables, probably, presentation, meeh, I could probably do better at home, but I was too busy enjoying the moment to even think of food!

All in all, it was a great experience. Too bad Monday had to occur in my life......




No comments:

Post a Comment